Sunday, March 8, 2009

Nugan Durif (Que?)

Had this on Saturday night. It's from Nugan in Oz and the grape is called Durif here but is better known as Petite Syrah (or Sirah). Not sure if this really is an Oz Shiraz in disguise but damn, it was good. Like pretty much all New World wines that I like, the fruity, jammy notes were not overpowering and there was good structure and a hint of tannins.


Can't estimate a price as it was a present from our guests along with a lovely Coto De Imaz rioja. If you like Penfolds Bin 389, Ridge wines etc. then this is for you.

3 comments:

  1. Supervalu have some arrangement with Nugan Estate. Normally this is a 16 euro bottle but for a few weeks till early October on sale at a tenner. Stock up be my advice.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been in a few Supervalu's recently and have seen a wide variety of Nugans, but not the Durif. I will redouble my efforts...

    Willie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Down here in Kinsale the Durif seems to be this time around scarcer on the ground than their previous sale on them when I bought a dozen or so.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete