Tuesday, August 4, 2009

O'Briens - Update

Well, we've drunk all three...

The Protocolo 2007, with much trepidation we started on this. Thank all the stars this is pretty damn special. It's got it all; fruit, acidity, tannins, balance and finish at a bargain price. If you paid €20 for this you would not be disappointed.

The Torbreck Old Vines Grenache Shiraz Mourvedre. While I appreciate that it is well made wine, this is not my cup of tea. Herself put it well when she said she found it "syrupy". It's a modern take on a Rhone wine but it hasn't enough structure, for me, to match up to the fruit. However, if you like Oz Shiraz then this is a step up from the standard fare (at the discount price).

Lastly, the Saumur-Champigny, La Bretonniere. While this was pleasant, we both found it a touch light. Again, well made, with nice acidity, typical French fruitiness but not enough body for my perhaps jaded palate.

Next: A small Hiatus while BE get hitched, I'll report on how the wine BE & GG chose goes down at the reception. Let the record show I recommended the Chateau Guillou but was overruled 8-).

No comments:

Post a Comment