Monday, June 7, 2010

Two Antipodean Aristocrats

Last Saturday, myself and Herself were treated to a delicious tasting dinner in Gordon Ramsay at the Ritz Carlton in Powerscourt. We had eaten here once before and had loved it, we were also looking forward to the fact that we would be dining at the Chef's table in the kitchen. If you are a foodie, and we are, you would be fascinated to see how a top class kitchen operates for an entire service. Gordon was not present and there was no shouting, no bad language, just order and control.

We had a tasting menu and in my humble and relatively inexperienced opinion, if you are going to go to a top class restaurant it's the only way to go (if you can afford it - and I can't). Our host had already chosen the wines and after some lovely champagne in the bar (Bruno Paillard Premiere Cuvee), we moved into the kitchen and onto the white a - Framingham Malborough Riesling. I liked this but I didn't love it, I'm sure it's an extremely well made wine but the style was not for me. I like my whites to be bigger and bolder, either fruity or austere and minerally but I think this was maybe too subtle for me. (Ed. - that wouldn't be the first time)

The red however, was something of a triumph although initially I blanched when I saw the label. It was a Mitolo Serpico Cabernet Sauvignon 2004. If you are a regular reader of this blog you'll know I have a somewhat fractious relationship with pure Aussie Cab Sav's. See here and here. What I didn't expect was a marvellously balanced, silky tannin'd, fruity gem. Blind, I would have said Bordeaux, but eyes wide open it was slightly more fruit forward that its old world cousins, but still with great length and complexity.

I'll have to relate that after dinner I also sampled some Chateau Art d'Guynaisse, which brought me right back down to earth, literally. Anyhoo, muchos gracias to our hosts again.

No comments:

Post a Comment