Thursday, September 24, 2009

Whiskey Shopping list

After doing a whiskey audit recently,it occurred to me to compile my whiskey shopping list of drams that I'd like to purchase in the next year or so...

We'll start with the Islay (pronounced eye-lah) malts.

Laphroaig 10yo, 15yo, 18yo - I don't think they are making the 15yo anymore which is a pity as it is more subtle expression than the bull in a china shop that is the 10yo. I've heard the 18yo is fab but its also about a ninety notes, the 10yo for me so...

Caol Ila 12yo, 18yo - Got a bottle of the 18yo from Granny G a while back and loved it, not a big peaty malt but delicious and salty. Alas, I have not seen it or the 12yo since.

Bruichladdich 12yo, 17yo - had both of these at the same time some years ago. The 12yo was nice while the 17yo was very very tasty, a little peaty but smooth with it.

Next - Other Scotches

Oban 14yo - I only ever drink this in restaurants, but its always good if a little pricey at about 60 bills.

Cragganmore 12yo - the only one of Diageo's Classic Malts I've not tried.

Macallan 12yo fine oak - Love this one, recently accidentally inveigled a fellow wedding guest to buy 2 shots of the 18yo at about 16 quid a shot - sorry Andrew!

Glenmorangie Classic 10yo / Lasanta 12 yo - recently fell back in like with this distillery, the classic is very fine and the Lasanta is a sherry finish that is also very pleasing - see here.

Dalwhinnie 15yo - Drank this at a couple of card games courtesy of Mr J. Liked it a lot.

Irish Single Malts - I have been recommended both below as a good, inexpensive starting point for my Irish Whiskey odyssey.

Connemara peated single malt.

Tyrconnell single malt.

2 comments: