Monday, April 19, 2010

6 Monthly Whiskey Audit

It's that time again. I know this is supposed to be a wine blog but occasionally I feel the need to wax somewhat lyrical on the virtues of the grain as opposed to the grape. If you are not interested, the exit is that way...

The last time I did an audit the results were as follows, a lot has changed since then, I got a boat load of whiskey for my cough-th birthday and I'm delighted to say I've put a good hole in most of them. The Islays have survived best, I need to be in a certain place to approach these peaty monsters and most of the time a regular expression is what I fancy.


Single Malt Scotches (L-R)

Bruichladdich Moine Mhor (3 different years)
Desc: A strong (50%) dram, sweet and peaty. A special edition which was a gift from Herself. Works well with a drop of water.
Remaining: 0.6 bottles

Lagavulin 16yo
Desc: My previous favourite Islay. Smooth and smoky and very peaty.
Remaining: 1.3 bottles (thanks MP!)

Bowmore 18yo
Desc: My new favourite Islay, even though I drink it only rarely.
Remaining: 0.8 bottles

Glenmorangie Original 10yo
Desc: The Classic from the 16 men of Tain. Have polished off a whole bottle of this since the last post. A very tasty everyday whiskey.
Remaining: 0.1 bottles

Glenmorangie Lasanta 12yo
Desc: This used to be called the Sherry-wood finish. I said this about it at the Glenmorangie tasting - "Quite fruity, but not overly so. Warming, taste all over the mouth and a very long finish. My favourite on the night."
Remaining: 0.2 bottles

Springbank "Longrow" Gaja Barola 7yo
Desc: A non-Islay peaty beast with a whopping 55.6% alcohol, this whiskey is delicious with a drop of water. This also spends the last 2 years of its life in Barolo casks. Who'd a thunk it?
Remaining: 0.6 bottles

The Balvenie Goldencask 14yo
Desc: A present from poker widow Allpay, it spends its last 2 years in rum casks which adds some lovely fruit and spice.
Remaining: 0.1 bottles

The Glenlivet French Oak Reserve 15yo
Desc: Another everyday whiskey, although I don't think this has quite the character of the Glemorangie
Remaining: 0.4 bottles



Blends & Other bottles (L - R)

Jameson Original
Desc: The standard expression. Had this recently at a neighbour's house and was very pleasantly surprised by it. Warm , spicy and intense.
Remaining: 0.9 bottle

Bushmills Malt 16yo
Desc: A nod to my own heritage, a big warm sweet whiskey.
Remaining: 0.3 bottles

Woodford Reserve
Desc: A present from MP, an impressive bourbon. Light years ahead of Jack Daniels et al. Although not as smooth as a single malt.
Remaining: 0.4 bottles

Bushmills Malt 12yo
Desc: Haven't opened this yet although I expect good things after the 16yo
Remaining: 1 bottle

Lark Distillery SingleMalt.
Desc: A present from JP & MP all the way from Tasmania. A different and slightly less refined malt from our Antipodean cousins, another nice change of pace.
Remaining: 0.5 bottles

No comments:

Post a Comment