Thursday, June 25, 2009

Meatballs, Chianti and the Pope


My oldest friend (COH) called over last night for dinner, I had made the meatballs the previous night so I went to Dunnes Ballyogan (yes - again) on the way home to pick up some last minute supplies and hopefully a couple of bottles of Italian wine to go with dinner*. My luck was in and a spotted the wine at left hidden on a bottom shelf. A Cecchi organic Chianta for €9-99, definitely worth a punt at this price given that my experience with Cecchi wines has generally been excellent.

Name: Cecchi Natio Organic Chianti
Year: 2007
Price: €9-99
Notes: A typical Chianti, lots of acidity with some lovely dark fruit. This was a surprisingly complex wine at the price with a long well rounded finish.
Rating: 8/10 - perfect with any tomato based dish and a steal at this price.

After dinner we drank the wine brought by our guest, which had been decanting. Our guest had been in Harvey Nics that afternoon and had picked up a Chateauneuf-du-Pape there, his favourite.

Name: Bosquet Des Papes Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Year: 2001
Price: ???
Notes: Its been so long since a had a Chateauneuf-du-Pape that I had forgotten how big and spicy they are. This was a complex, warm spicy beast that went well with our cheese.
Rating: 7/10 - This should be an 8 but I'm docking it a point as I'd say it was expensive.

* Jamie's Ministry of Food - Meatballs and Tomato Sauce - georgeous

No comments:

Post a Comment