Friday, February 19, 2010

Lied to again...

Firstly, a report on the Villa Augusta Montepulciano D'Abruzzo I got in The Market (€12-99). As much as I loved this label, the wine inside was a little disappointing, and not what I remembered from many years ago, story of my life really. Anyhoo, this wasn't bad, just not that great; it had some nice bitter cherries and some acidity but not much beyond that. It needed something structure-wise to balance out the flavours.

Next up - Bottle Shock, the movie, (spoilers ahoy!) which allegedly tells the true story behind the 1976 Judgement of Paris in 1976, and in particular the Californian winery Chateau Montelena, which triumphed over the assembled white Burgundies. In the wine world this was a big deal with the upstart Californians humbling the grand French Chateaux. In a word - Don't. Alan Rickman is brilliant as ever but the rest of the movie sucks ass. Its cliched, bland, formulaic and boring and Chris (Captain Kirk) Pine's wig is risible. Oh and in the love triangle, guess who gets the girl - the tall, tanned surfer dude or the short, dark Mexican?

Lastle, I was down in Superquinn in Blackrock, picking up some bits for the belly, pork not mine for a change, and I happened upon the Domaine Gres St Vincent, Cotes Du Rhone Villages 2008 (€11-55), which I have unsuccessfully tried to purchase in various Superquinn French wine sales and always gets good reviews. We had it last night and we liked it a lot. I didn't have my blogging hat on so I can't tell you any more but, it was very pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment