Friday, May 1, 2009

Tesco Update

A quick update on the 2 bottles from Tesco

1) Tesco Argentina Malbec Reserve 2008. (at left)
I saw this in Mary Doweys 101 Great Wines under €12. I've never tried it but as I am a fan of Argentinian Malbecs and this wine was priced at a mere €6-69, I could hardly refuse.

Initially on first taste I was a little disappointed with this wine as it tasted a little bland. However after an hour or so the wine opened up, developing some spice, some useful tannins and a decent finish. A steal at this price.
8/10 (extra mark for the value)

2) Chateau Cazal Viel Saint Chinian Cuvee des Fees 2006 (at right)
Also in Mary Doweys 101 Great Wines under €12. I have been a big fan of this wine since I saw it lauded in the Irish Times (I think) about 5 years ago. We haven't had it for a while but at €10-99 it's great value. It's from the Languedoc and is made from the classic Rhone varieties Syrah, Grenache and Mourvedre.

We brought this to a friends house and drank it after a 2000 Chateau Macquin St Georges from St Georges-St Emilion which was very very good. The Cazal Viel held up well, its modern, slightly upfront style was not an unpleasant change although more of the Bordeaux wouldn't have gone astray, alas it too had been a present and existed singularly at that location.
I'll get this again a do a full review as it really is a bargain.

Note: My guest blogger June was oop North today and got me two bottles on Penfolds Bin 389, a snip at £19-99 (its €30 down here), full review to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment