Saturday, January 12, 2013

Seizing the Higher Ground


Hola, amigos. I know its been a while since I blogged at ya but the old Xmas was pretty hairy - in a good way, I should add. Lots of peeps home from abroad and some fun entertaining in Casa di Willie, with plenty of moderately priced champagne.

Anyhoo, we finally finished all the vino we bought, or got as presents so I dutifully, and with no ulterior motive, made my way down to Carrickmines and my nearest O'Briens. I picked up a couple of old favourites, i.e. this Jumilla and wonder of wonders some Amancaya. I'm supposed to be reviewing the Corbieres we drank last night but I'm actually sipping this Argentinian delight as I type and it's just wonderful. A fruity marvel.

So the wine I'm supposed to review is the bottle at left a Chateau Les Auzines 'Hautes Terres' Corbieres 2009 €11-99 reduced from €13-99. I tend to buy wine with "Corbieres" on the label because I tend to like most wines with "Corbieres" on the label. This was no exception. O'Briens website describes it thusly "it is has wonderful purity of ripe blackberry fruit. It is elegant and finely balanced, a seriously well-made wine"

I don't disagree, this tasted like a more expensive beast with lots of depth, some restrained fruit and a cracking finish. Even without the discount I'd be tempted. Another winner from Laurent Miquel, this man has a gift for producing reasonably priced and very solid Southern French reds.

No comments:

Post a Comment