Tuesday, December 17, 2013

A Lidl bit of Xmas Cheer - Updated

I can't believe I'm finally doing a wine post. Apologies to the fans of the grape, it's been a little while since I wrote about anything other than the grain. Anyway, I headed out into the cold Dublin mountain air earlier with the aim of buying some cheap booze for the Chrimbo to Lidl on the Grange Road .

I was hoping to find some of the Cepa Lebrel reserva, which I have been enjoying for the last year and a half and my luck was in and I bought a few for the very reasonable price of €8.49. I figger they'll be handy to have for last minute entertaining. The other two I got are pictured below:

Medici Riccardi Morellino di Scansano 2011  - €10.99
This is almost the most expensive wine I've ever bought in Lidl, but I have to say that the 10-12 euro wines from Lidl are generally pretty solid so here's hoping this follows on trend.

Herself isn't crazy about this but I quite like it. It's warm, rich and full with some nice cherry and plum notes. Would I buy it ahead of the €8 Lidl Rioja? Probably not, but if you are a Sangiovese fiend you'll find a lot to like here...
 
Chianti Riserva Corte Alle Mura 2010 - €6.99
Total punt here. The standard (cheap) Chianti comes at about a fiver but that's not great. I'm hoping for the modest addition of two euro that magic will occur and transform this wine into a winner.

So this is...not bad. There's a little plummy fruit, a touch of acidity; perfectly pleasant with a decent finish. If you are a Chianti freak this is probably not for you but otherwise this might be worth a try at 7 notes.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm German and living in Spain, and it's ages since I tried an Italian vine (sorry for my English). I recently bought this vine in LIDL for a blind tasting in a vine course. For me, it is nothing special, although I gave enough time to develop its strength. The bitter finish doesn't disappear and I can' t find the balance in this vine. But this may also be because of the Italian grapes I'm not used to. Could you recommend a real good Chianti to me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to send you one bit of remark to be able to thank you as before on your unique advice you have shown above. visit It's simply shockingly open-handed with people like you to grant unhampered what many people could possibly have distributed as an e-book to get some bucks on their own. visit here specifically considering that you might well have tried it if you ever wanted. These points in addition served like the fantastic way to be certain that other people online have the same dream like my personal own to figure out a great deal more with respect to this matter. visit homepage I'm certain there are millions of more pleasurable times up front for people who look over your site. visit our website

    ReplyDelete