Saturday, February 6, 2010

Superquinn Bargains - I hope

When I was down in Superquinn Blackrock during the week I was supposed to be just picking up some groceries, but being a good oenophile*, I couldn't resist having a quick wander round the wine section of the shop. What I probably should have tried was the Superquinn own-brand range which has been getting good notices of late (Mary Dowey not the least). As it was, I only saw the Bordeaux and I have strict rules about cheap Bordeaux - Don't. The Burgundy and Cotes Du Rhone I intend to try next time round.

The first thing that caught my eye was the wine at left in the Picture, a Sammicheli Chianti Riserva 2007, half price at €9-99. If it genuinely is half price then this should be a tasty tipple, although the corollary of this is that if the wine is so nice how come they have to halve the price to shift it?

Next up is the famous E. Guignal Cotes Du Rhone 2005. I have been reading rave reviews about this for years but to my knowledge I have only had it once and I didn't rate it then. This was a number of years ago and hopefully my palate has evolved to the point where I can see what all the fuss is about. It was also reduced from €13-55 to €10, so if it performs then its a bargain too.

Next week - I may venture "oop north" on a booze run, if time and circumstances allow...

*pi$$head

5 comments:

  1. What was the Sammicheli like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know what - I don't remember, and I can't find a blog post about it either. Apologies.

    Willie

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a bottle of Sammicheli Riserva 2007 last night - it was absolutely perfect, a classic smooth chianti with just a little touch of greengage, hint of sour - great with the duck.

    I googled Sammicheli just now as I couldn't remember where I'd bought it - this blog was the first hit - so there you are - don't know if 'Anonymous May 5th' will read this though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like I'll have to try it again, And this time write it up...

    Willie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I have taste this one, a few months ago and almost immediately went top buy a bottle for home, I like it very much because it's kind of soft and you can drink it peacefully.

    ReplyDelete