Thursday, January 28, 2010

At long last Aldi

Although the Aldi website tried to divert me from their Rathfarnham store by claiming it is located in Clonskeagh, I finally made it there tonight. On the food front, after a quick peruse, I reckon there isn't a huge difference between it and Lidl, although Aldi's stock may be marginally "classier".

Anyhoo, I bought three bottles of red (along with some never-before-seen German beer, and there were many kinds of this), at left an even-cheaper-than-Lidl 2008 Montepulciano (€4-29!!), at this price the wine in the bottle is worth an about 20 cent after Govt. duty.

In the middle is a 2003 Vina Decana Reserva from Utiel Requena (€7-39), they also had Crianza from the same producer but at this price I reckon I can spring for the Reserva. Will try this over the weekend with a couple of rib-eyes, also from Aldi.

Lastly, a 2008 Toro Loco Tempranillo, also from Utiel Requena and priced to move at €4-99. We were having take away pizza for dinner ( Four Star - thin base is the only way to go), so I unscrewed this, no decanter*, and poured. Probably not the best way to drink a cheap wine but you know what, I know what I hate, and I don't hate this. It's young, fruity and while I wouldn't serve it at a posh dinner party, it's quite drinkable and at this price it's decent value.

*My lovely and practical Ikea decanter met with a sharp end earlier on in the week, courtesy of Herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment